Sunday, February 10, 2008

Srebrenica

For a few years now, I have been passionate about volunteering for two local non-profits.

I am not going to deny, however, that I have been beyond slack. Sometimes I get caught up so much in my own silly little issues surrounding work and school that I feel bad for not having checked in for a while and end up staying completely under the radar.

But I have been good about getting into it again and have gone to a few meetings recently. Last Thursday, we met to to discuss upcoming projects and one associate of our group decided to show a film he made of a trip about his to Kosovo.

I have read about it. Seen it on the news. Followed the rise and fall of Milosevic. The attempts of prosecuting him before the Tribunal. The elections, the pros and cons of sovereignty. I know what happened in Kosovo and Yugoslavia in general.

But I wasn't prepared for this. I wasn't prepared to see the ruins of houses of people I have met, of toddlers dying of lead poisening in UNHCR camps, of pictures of the green hills around Srebrenica.

It's moments like that when I feel nothing but utterly ashamed of living my life the way I do.


The green hills of Srebrenica.